Thursday, March 22, 2007

God kills, wounds, and devours flesh and blood

Deuteronomy 32:39-42 "See now that I myself am He!
There is no god besides me.
I kill and I bring to life,
I wound and I heal,
and no one can deliver out of my hand.

I lift my hand to heaven and declare:
As surely as I live forever,

when I sharpen my flashing sword
and my hand grasps it in judgment,
I will take vengeance on my enemies
and repay those who hate me.

I will make my arrows drunk with blood,
while my sword devours flesh,
the blood of the slain and the captives,
and the heads of the enemy leaders."


PERSONAL COMMENTARY


I have to keep telling myself - God is a loving God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or you can just read about it:

Exd 34:6-7 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Psa 86:15 But thou, O Lord, [art] a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.

Jer 32:18 Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD of hosts, [is] his name,

Anonymous said...

What really drives me nuts and makes me want to bash my skull into the monitor is the constant verse searching of the 'sacred texts'. Every time a contradiction, negative interpretation, or just plain old arcane antiquated ideas are taken from the bible/koran/otherreligiousbook the knee jerk response from a 'believer' is to quote some other better verse which is more kind or loving or that says god needs not be understood. Its the same old poop! Broken records being spit out over and over...no one dares really think about the conflict in the texts. Because inquiry and skepticism are considered qualities of someone who lacks enough 'faith'. Uhhaaghhh!

(ps- nice blog, keep it up...i do enjoy torturing myself)