Sunday, March 04, 2007

God will send wild animals to kill your children

Leviticus 26:18-26 ” ‘If after all this you will not listen to me, I will punish you for your sins seven times over. I will break down your stubborn pride and make the sky above you like iron and the ground beneath you like bronze. Your strength will be spent in vain, because your soil will not yield its crops, nor will the trees of the land yield their fruit.

” ‘If you remain hostile toward me and refuse to listen to me, I will multiply your afflictions seven times over, as your sins deserve. I will send wild animals against you, and they will rob you of your children, destroy your cattle and make you so few in number that your roads will be deserted.

” ‘If in spite of these things you do not accept my correction but continue to be hostile toward me, I myself will be hostile toward you and will afflict you for your sins seven times over. And I will bring the sword upon you to avenge the breaking of the covenant. When you withdraw into your cities, I will send a plague among you, and you will be given into enemy hands. When I cut off your supply of bread, ten women will be able to bake your bread in one oven, and they will dole out the bread by weight. You will eat, but you will not be satisfied.

PERSONAL COMMENTARY

This reading is the second installment of a previous reading “God will bring sudden terror and diseases on you.”

God continues to list out judgments for not obeying his commands including:

  1. Your soil will not yield its crop nor your trees yield its fruits
  2. He will multiply affliction seven times over
  3. God will send wild animals to kill your children, cattle, and to make you few in number
  4. God himself will be hostile towards you and afflict you
  5. God will bring the sword against you
  6. God will send a plague against you
  7. God will give you into your enemies hand
  8. God will cut off your supply of bread
  9. You will eat and not be satisfied.

more to come….

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not difficult to understand these words

> If in spite of these things you do
> not accept my correction but
> continue to be hostile toward me,
> I myself will be hostile toward you

If you have someone being hostile to you - aren't you hostile back?

Remember, Jesus believed in this OT bible that you're tearing apart. If Jesus did - and you believe in Jesus... then so should do.

Unless
a) you actually DON'T believe in Jesus
b) you think what is written about Jesus is wrong too?

M.

Anonymous said...

A main OT theme is choice. Pick Door A or pick Door B. To help the selection process, God even provides the outcomes of each decision. How much easier does it get? "Go through Door A and I'll punish you. Go through Door B and I'll bless you."

Deu 11:26-28 "Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known."

I think it's interesting that God spells out in detail what would happen if the Israelites did not obey God. It seems as though God was going out of His way to describe things to such an extent so that it made the idea of turning away from Him a non-option.

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous! Can't you see this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Let's assume for one second that there is some all powerful god. There is this immense universe - size beyond anything we can imagine - and you believe this all-knowing being cares enough about one example among millions of species that he would incite wild animals to kill you?

Why haven't wild animals come and attacked me for writing this? Why don't wild animals come and attack Richard Dawkins? Nope, I'm going to open my door and guess, what, there won't be any wild animals. Wild religious zealots maybe, but no wild animals, burning bushes, talking donkeys, etc.

It's because all of this is delusional thinking. It's the product of a backwards, illiterate, intellectually-naive culture. Is it any mystery that these happenings have waned as it has become easier to measure, test, and verify - all parts of scientific method - have become commonplace in our culture?